A Little R&R

 Renovation and Reconstruction

I finally ran out of patience with the clutter and excess furniture etc in my room which have been making it awkward to navigate around and to tidy up. 

Amongst other things, such as storing my 43yr old kitchen table (surplus now that we have my grandmother's 100 year old one), I decided to turn my table sideways so the longer edge is against the wall giving a little more room between the gaming table and my painting desk and to make it smaller. So,  my 54" deep by 48" wide table is now 48" deep x 60" wide.  Yeah, I know. What can I say? These things happen. 

Test fit of the pieces. Sawing and nailing to follow. (The old piece on the end has 4" black dotted line squares superimposed on the 6" coloured squares.)

Anyway, the central grid of 12x12 4" squares will nicely reproduce a Thomas OHW battle (each 4" square equating to 3"x3" on a scenario map)  with a 2 grid wide "offtable" buffer zone behind each sides' start line for approaching reinforcements. 


For other scenarios it will give me either a slightly wider frontage for pitched battles or else greater depth for meeting engagements, rearguards, convoys and so on.  

I was tempted to leave the pieces as last used for a 4'x6' playing area but its too awkward to reach the middle with my modest stature and short arms. Besides, the extra room just invites larger, longer games and bigger armies and I don't want to go back there. Especially now that it seems that my painting hand is showing signs of the arrival of the hereditary family tradition of arthritic fingers. Good thing I already liked glossy toy soldiers.


Anyway, I also had the local hardware store mix a quart of paint matched to the colour I am using for my bases so ere long table, hills and bases will match. (For my 54's anyway.) More new terrain to follow.

تعليقات